Yet another Malabar recipe and this time it is a delicious snack called Unnakaya.It is a sweet and delicious snack made with plantains and stuffed with a sweet coconut and nut filling.There is also a non vegetarian version with egg stuffing which is most popular during the Ramadan fasting.Mine is the vegetarian version.
Even though it is a very popular recipe, I must admit that I am trying this for the first time and that too after watching many cookery shows and demonstrations to bring somewhat perfect consistency for the dough and shape.My family really enjoyed this yummy snack.
Ripe Plantain- 2
Coconut- 1/2 cup
Sooji/rava- 2 tsp ( optional)
Sugar- 3-4 tsp
salt- a pinch
Raisins- a few
chopped cashew nuts- a little
ghee- 2 tsp
Cardamom- 1/3 tsp
To make the filling
Heat ghee in a pan and fry cashew nuts and raisins followed by rava. Stir fry this for a minute and add coconut. Fry this till it attains light golden brown.Add sugar and blend well with the coconut mixture. Let this cool.
Steam cook plantains till its is soft. Peel off the skin and run knife through the center remove the small black seeds in the center. Mash this in a grinder or hand blender without using water into the form of a dough. You can add a pinch of salt to this. Make lemon size balls and flatten then between your palms. Put the filling in the center and seal the edges. The best way is to take between your two hands and gently fold and press the edges and roll . Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the unnakayas in medium flame or shallow fry in a non stick pan. Enjoy with tea.
1) Use plantains which is ripe but yet firm. Do not use over ripe soft ones as you will not get the correct consistency and will be difficult to hold together.
2) Mash the plantains when it is slightly warm, otherwise it will get dried out and will be difficult to grind especially if you are using a mixer.
3) If you feel that it is very difficult to bring the mass together you can add a two tsp of water while grinding plus one tsp of rice flour.
4) Do not make it into a very smooth mixture as there will be a tendency to tear apart.
5) Grease you hands with ghee while making the balls. You can also flatten it on a greased plastic sheet or parchment paper and gently press them together.
Hope you will all enjoy..