Skip to main content

Kalikanji / koozh dosa/ Non Fermented Rice Pancake : Gluten and Vegan Free : A guest post from Swathi of Zesty South Indian Kitchen




Today I am extremely delighted, to have as a guest,  my precious blogger friend Swathi. She is the author of Zesty South Indian Kitchen,the founder of the Baking partners group and also one of the host of Hearth and Soul,Tuesday Blog Hop. She is extremely talented, a great mom and a wonderful friend.

There are many things in common between us and so lots to share, we both are from Trivandrum,Kerala, studied in the same college (in different departments) and started blogging around the same time.  From the beginning of my blogging journey she has shown interest in reading my post and always gave wonderful suggestion and feedback's. Many times we discuss about cooking and recipes through emails and more often now-a days as I am part of her baking partners group .Her blog,Zesty South Indian Kitchen, has an exquisite collection of recipes from simple, traditional Kerala recipes to creative and  eye catching baked goods. Check her world cusine page and you will be amazed at her creativity,understanding and passion for cooking.She is a busy mom,with two cute little kids,a daughter and a son. But when I asked her for a guest post,she readily agreed.Thank you so much Swathi for being such a sweet friend :)
Swathi's post today is a traditional ,healthy breakfast recipe, which is her mom's favorite and one that is very close to her heart.Thanks Swathi, I am so happy and honored to have you here.

Now let's hear form Swathi...


Kalikanji / koozh dosa/ Non Fermented Rice Pancake : Gluten and Vegan Free : A guest post for Kitchen
Corner Try It

Hello, my name is Swathi, and I write the blog: Zestysouthindiankitchen.com

When my friend Suja of Kitchen Corner Try It asked me to do a guest post for her, I immediately said yes. Blogging has brought me a few, but great friends and she is one of them; she started her blog roughly six month after I started. She never fails to stop by whenever I post and if I need any help I can ask her. She will not say no to me. She has cute little boy who just started pre-school. She is from Kerala, my home state in India, and is an excellent cook, great blogger, great mom and friend.

Since she knows that I am busy and crazy with two kids, she gave me freedom to choose recipe. I choose this recipe as it is close to my heart. My mom used to make it very often. She makes regular dosa (our south Indian crepe), Adai (rice and mixed lentil crepe) and Kalikanji dosa. It is one of the traditional Tamil Brahmin cuisines. She used to makes it once a week, when she ran out of batter for regular dosa. Both I and my sister usually would have it with sugar. My father would choose some spicy chutney /pickle or curry. I was planning to make this for long time; however I had only vague memories about this recipe.

I told my father during a phone conversation that I am missing kalikanji dosa which amma used to make it. I don’t how to make them. Then he gave me the recipe. I never learned any cooking from my mom, and I got interested in cooking only after staying alone. Meaning running out tasty food option? Yes I did that.

This recipe is made only with rice flour and coconut and salt, one step in the cooking process make its really soft crepe. You don’t need any overnight fermentation like dosa, only need is to soak the rice for about 3 hours grind it into smooth batter and set aside a portion of the batter and then cook the batter to form poridge and add it to the batter. Make pancakes as soon you need it.

It’s yummy and you only need a spicy side dish to dig in. Try it and it won’t disappoint you.

Here goes the Recipe

Ingredients

2 cup raw rice
2 cup water + extra water for soaking
½ teaspoon salt
3/4 cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen, don’t use desiccated one)
2- 3 tablespoon of oil

How I made

Soak the rice for about 3 hours and set aside
Wash and grind the rice with1/2 cup water in grinder or blender. After grinding rice set aside ¼ cup of rice batter and add coconut and grind once again to combine everything well.
In a small sauce pan heat ¼ cup rice batter you set aside with ¾ cup water for about 2 minutes with constant whisk to prevent forming clumps. Batter should be cooked and have nice shiny white /transparent in color.
Add this cooked batter to remaining rice –coconut batter, add salt and ½ cup water to form a loose crepe or pancake like consistency.
Heat favorite girdle or skillet and brush with oil and pour ¼ cup of batter and spread it in a circular motion to form a 9 inch circle. Add few drops of oil around the side of circle.
Cook for 30 seconds on one side and flip the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Once it is done it have small brown spots. Mainly white in color.
Enjoy with any spicy curry. They are soft and delicious.



Swathi

Comments

  1. Mouth watering recipe...looks so delicious yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suja, for giving this wonderful opportunity. I am happy to be a guest on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely combo and nice work Suja and Swathi..Nice to know more about your friendship :)
    Simple Chilli Paneer - No Garlic No Ginger Recipe
    You Too Can Cook Indian Food

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Suja and Swathi.It's so meaningful to see how the friendships in the blog world can bring the best in everyone..
    Superb recipe and nice presentation !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks all for stopping by and for the sweet comments:)
      Dhyuthi,blogging has been a wonderful journey,glad to have met so many wonderful friends,you all rock!

      Delete
  5. Lovely Guest Post Suja....Lovely writings by both of you

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely guest post and a wonderful host :) love it and congrats to both Swathi and Suja, firstly great to know more about both of you :D the world is so small really. And you both are such stunning cooks, can't beat you girls sorry mum's. Love this recipe Swathi, traditional and so homely :D would love to try and taste these dosa and what lovely click too... good both both of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priya, so sweet of you,I am so happy you liked Swathi's post,I am also totally in love with this,it is a really healthy and comfort food :)

      Delete
  7. Very interesting recipe..Never heard n tried..Sounds very tasty, defntly gonna try this soon!! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi suja and swathi, how innovative. never seen one before.. bookmarked with thanks.. cant wait to try using raw rice, sweet color too. have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priya,Srividhya and Wan for the sweet comment.
      @ Wan,Swathi has given us a wonderful dish,quick and easy breakfast..have a nice day :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely guest post...Lovely delicious dosai...even my mom prepares this but rarely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely guest post...Lovely delicious dosai...even my mom prepares this and we love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaveri,this is a new dish to me.Swathi's mom often makes this,mom's recipes is always the best and so close to heart..

      Delete
  11. wow very healthy recipe dosai,luks gr8!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very interesting and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, fantastic guest post by Swathi,this non fermented dosas looks fabulous and definitely helpful for many of us. Btw dosas looks super spongy and soft.

    Kudos to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prema,PT and Priya,you said right Priya,definitely helpful for many of us,especially busy days or sudden unexpected guests..

      Delete
  14. Ooooh....this looks really delicious. Love that it's made from rice. Thanks very much for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by,kudos to Swathi for this healthy and yummy dish :)

      Delete
  15. Love these rice pancakes with that delicious coconut added in! The picture is so pretty too with that blue plate as the backdrop. I want to reach in and eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First time here!!!Super spongy non fermented pancakes!!! Lovely guest post Swathi..
    Check Out my "Daily one neivedhyam happening for 9 days of Navratri"
    Today's recipe - Crispy Yucca Vada
    Unusual Sundal Yucca Sundal
    Nitha's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shabbu, Reeni and Sangeetha,
      @Reeni,me too love the pics..soft white dosas on the blue plate,kudos to Swathi :)
      Sangeetha,thanks for stopping by and for the sweet comment :)

      Delete
  17. Love this rice pancakes, wonderfully made Swathi. Kudos to Swathi and Suja both.

    Today's recipe:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.com/2012/10/paneer-bhurji.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suja..ur friend's guest post is superb. Looks yumm and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tempting clicks & delicious looking dosa! Lovely guest post, thanks Suja and Swathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a beautiful recipe. thanks to both of you. life saver for quick breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We call it panpolo in Mangalore. ANd it is folded in a triangular shape. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The dosas look super soft and such a lovely recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look super soft and awesome! Thanks to both of you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is new to me. Thanks for sharing this swathi and suja

    ReplyDelete
  25. lookks great. hopped over from swatis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

12 Best Traditional Kerala Snacks - Tea Time Snacks

 12 Best Traditional Kerala Snacks - Tea Time Snacks  Are you looking for some light bites to indulge during tea time? Well, you have come to the right place. Kerala cuisine has an exhaustive list of traditional tea-time snacks.  The list of ingredients is available in your pantry, making it possible to make these delicious snacks. Many of these snacks, can be quickly whipped up with rice flour, coconut, and jaggery. I am sharing a list of snack recommendations from Kerala that are easy to cook at home. These sweet and savory snacks are heartwarming and will make you nostalgic. It is by no means is a complete list. I am sharing some of the top picks of this blog in one space for easy reference. If you like to try, more recipes check my earlier post on 10 Quick and Easy Kerala Snacks/ Tea time snacks that you can make in under 20 minutes . Do you have any favorite snack that is simple and easy to make? I would love to hear about your favorite traditional snacks. Please share your idea

10 Quick and Easy Kerala Snacks/ Tea time snacks

Do you often look for snack ideas? I like to try new snack recipes. Freshly homemade, tea time snacks appeals to all ages. There are comfort and joy in munching a delicious sweet or savory deep-fried snack with hot piping tea. Some recipes make you nostalgic, and we keep coming back to it time and again. Kerala has an exhaustive list of traditional tea-time snacks. You never get tired of eating them! So here is a list of family favorites. Today I am sharing a collection of 10 easy to make snacks that you can make under 20 minutes . Do you have any favorite snack that is simple and easy to make? Please share your ideas, leave me a comment below Want to try more Kerala snacks, check my post 12 Best Traditional Kerala Snacks - Tea Time Snacks  Pazham Pori- Crispy Fried Sweet Plantain Pazham pori is a quick and easy tea time snack. It is made with ripe sweet plantains dipped in a batter and then deep-fried in coconut oil to crispy golden. Ingredients Ripe plantains - 3 medium Maida-1 1/

Fish Fried Rice

This is a delicious and easy  fried rice made with fish. It is a healthy and quick lunch box fix. This is inspired by a Thai fish rice which I read in a magazine. The original recipe makes use of salted fish and chicken to make fried rice. But here I have used only fish (unsalted).The first time I tried this recipe I used stir fry method to cook fish and the result was somewhat scrambled fish. So to avoid it I  marinated the fish and fried it before combining with rice. You can also add carrots, cabbage,bok choy or any veggies of your choice. Ingredients Fish Boneless- 3/4 lb (I used King Fish) Cooked Rice- 3 cups Onion - 1 medium Spring onions - a little Capsicum - 1 cup Celery- 1/2 cup Soya sauce- 2 tsp Fish sauce- a few drops(optional) Chilly sauce- 1 tsp Oyster sauce- 1/2 tsp ( optional) Carrot- 1 small Ginger- 1inch thick Garlic- 3-4  pepper powder- 1/2  tsp corn starch- 1 tsp oil Cut fish into small pieces. Marinate it for 10 minutes with soya sauce and h