Skip to main content

Mutton Varuval





This recipe is inspired by Mutton Chukka Varuval, popular in Tamil Nadu. It is a dry roasted mutton with less spices but with a great taste. Something similar to this is the Mutton liver Ularthal common in Kerala. Mutton varuval is very tasty and a healthy way of cooking  The basic Kerala Mutton fry is something similar to this with less spices but it is deep fried in oil.

Ingredients.
Mutton - 1/2 Kg
Onions sliced- 2 big ( shallots taste better)
Ginger- 3 tsp
Garlic- 2 tsp
crushed chilly powder- 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Turmeric- 1/3 tsp
fennel seeds - 1 tsp
coriander leaves- 3 tsp
Oil - 3 tsp
salt to taste
Curry leaves



Roast crushed chilly, turmeric and fennel seeds in a very low flame till fennel gets a good smell, but be careful not to burn them.Make it into a fine powder and marinate the mutton for an hour. Add in salt as well. Cook it till the meat is tender, preferably in pressure cooker with one cup of water.( you can skip the next step if you wish to make Kerala Mutton fry. Just deep fry till crispy along with curry leaves)
Chop onions, garlic and ginger. Saute onions, ginger and garlic in oil till golden brown and add in the cooked mutton ( it should be dry) and saute for two minutes. Add chilly powder, fennel powder and a pinch of salt and allow the meat to get roasted in low flame for about 5-6 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm.
 

Try this easy recipe...
Hope you will all enjoy!!!

Comments

  1. Recipe is nice,will try with chicken, it really looks too good suja..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Varuval makes me drool dear. Love that picture very much:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. never tried this.. Will givea try soon.. My Dh loves Mutton!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome..I could have some of it now as is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello suja,
    how r u .what a delicious mutton varuval..we like mutton..this one looks so tempting..nice pic too.feel to have it now..best with chapathi..
    new to ur blog..wonderful space yarr.good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for your sweet comments...
    @Sushma,when you say chicken,I too feel tempted to try,
    Viki and Ann,thanks for stopping by..hope you will enjoy
    Nostalgia and PranisKitchen...Welcome to my blog..both of you have wonderful blogs and doing great work..

    ReplyDelete
  7. fennel in Mutton is something novel!! Never quite knew of the combination.. I am sure Mutton lovers will relish the dish. (I do not eat meat therefore I am out of it I guess). I will look forward for your vegetarian recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, such a drool worthy mutton varuval, makes me really hungry, I am going to self-invite myself to ur home, hehe...just kidding.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the encouraging words..
    Kannada Cuisine and Malar thanks for stopping by. hope to see you again..
    Malar enjoying your Spinach rice..super easy and yummy..thanks for the recipe..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

10 Quick and Easy Kerala Snacks/ Tea time snacks

Do you often look for snack ideas? I like to try new snack recipes. Freshly homemade, tea time snacks appeals to all ages. There are comfort and joy in munching a delicious sweet or savory deep-fried snack with hot piping tea. Some recipes make you nostalgic, and we keep coming back to it time and again. Kerala has an exhaustive list of traditional tea-time snacks. You never get tired of eating them! So here is a list of family favorites. Today I am sharing a collection of 10 easy to make snacks that you can make under 20 minutes . Do you have any favorite snack that is simple and easy to make? Please share your ideas, leave me a comment below Want to try more Kerala snacks, check my post 12 Best Traditional Kerala Snacks - Tea Time Snacks  Pazham Pori- Crispy Fried Sweet Plantain Pazham pori is a quick and easy tea time snack. It is made with ripe sweet plantains dipped in a batter and then deep-fried in coconut oil to crispy golden. Ingredients Ripe plantains - 3 medium Maida-...

Thakkali Pachadi- Tomato Yogurt Curry- Sadhya Special

Thakkali Pachadi Today's recipe is a simple and lightly tangy pachadi made with tomatoes. It is a comforting side dish with tomatoes and cumin-spiced yogurt. Does it sound simple? And yes it is a simple curry. If you are on a time crunch, this is a perfect recipe for you. Tomato is the star ingredient. There are so many recipes that use tomatoes, but with all the different flavors and masalas it is hard to appreciate the taste of tomatoes. But in this tomato yogurt pachadi you get the sweet and tart flavor of tomatoes. Yes! an intense tomato flavor! Thakkali pachadi is a bright and creamy curry and a great side dish for steamed rice and chapati. I sometimes make tomato fry for chapathi and appam. But in this pachadi you add a spiced yogurt coconut paste. There is a beautiful balance between the sweetness and acidity of tomatoes, sweet nutty taste of coconut and the sourness of spiced yogurt. Cumin, curry leaves and coconut oil adds to the flavor. In some regions of Ke...

Uzhunnu Vada/Urad Dal Vada

Uzhunnu Vada/Urad Dal Vada Uzhunnu vada or medu vada is a very common snack in south India and is a perfect accompaniment with a cup of hot piping tea.I like it as a snack but again cannot resist when it is served with idli,sambar and chutney as breakfast. One might wonder where does all the aroma come from? The  plain deep fried lentils is by itself flavorful because I make them often for  vada curry. But in uzhunnu vada the addition of pearl onions,ginger and curry leaves imparts a wonderful aroma that is irresistible.This is something I really missed when I came here to the US until I started making my home made version. Try this you will surely love it. Ingredients Urad Dal/Black lentil skinless- 1 cup Rice flour- 2 tsp Pearl Onions- 4-5 Ginger finely chopped- 1 inch thick Curry leaves finely chopped- 1 spring Green chilly  finely chopped- 3 Whole black pepper- 5-6 salt to taste Oil- 2 cup to fry Wash and soak urad dal and rice for about 4-5...